Since 2010, the Office of the International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX) in Kazakhstan manages projects aimed at improving the quality of education in the field of information and communication technologies (ICT) among the population of the city of Atyrau and Zhylyoi district. Society of Information Technologies Age (SITA) 2014 Project pursued three objectives:
- Promote the use of ICT in schools, NGOs and other organizations with a social mission.
- Provide professional development opportunities for teachers, NGO staff, medical workers and other public organizations and increase their skills.
- Train disadvantaged people who do not have sufficient funds for the acquisition of technical skills individually and increase their chances of employment in the future.
Within SITA project more than 800 representatives from 75 institutions of Atyrau and Zhylyoi district were taught, 500 websites were created, and more than 600 trainings were conducted. All the participants of the project had opportunity to get free education in information technology. Trainings were conducted by experienced trainers who make up the schedule according to the needs of each group at a convenient time for them. The training includes:
- Microsoft office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Audacity, Gimp, Presi com, Premier Pro Programmes
- Google tools
- Study of educational sites (www.45minut.kz , www.ustaz.kz )
- Creating online tests and quizzes
- Creating blogs and forums
- Creating personal websites.
The duration of the training and classes is determined by the students’ level of knowledge. An equally important goal of the project was improvement of school computer classes. The technical coordinator of the project helped to repair computers, install modems, set up a local network, connect Internet and make program reinstallations. SITA also has its own computer lab with the latest equipment and high-speed internet access which is available to all participants of the project at any time.